On April 14th, International Moment of Laughter Day, we at Central are taking a moment to celebrate the healing and relaxing power of laughter. The International Moment of Laughter Day is the unofficial holiday created by humorologist Izzy Gesell, so put a smile on, grab a friend, or loved one and just laugh.
While we are taking a moment to laugh, it’s important to fully understand the health benefits found in laughing. So, like all great blog reads, we’ve assembled a list of the top 5 health benefits of laughter.
- Stress relief – We all go through stressful life circumstances, both in and out of our control. These circumstances can create, physical and mental conditions that lead to exhaustion and burnout. Regardless of circumstance, take a moment and laugh. Laughing stimulates circulation, which leads to a physical feeling of relaxation.
- Attitude adjustment – Ever heard the phrase “attitude is everything”? When you wake-up on the wrong side of the bed, try laughing. As we laugh, the body takes in oxygen-rich air that stimulates organs and increases endorphins leading to a feel good sensation.
- Increased connection with others – Much of our capacity to take on life’s challenges depends on the quality of our relationships. Laughing with someone creates an immediate bond by establishing a positive emotional climate and sense of connection.
- Physical health benefits – Make laughter part of your workout routine. Laughter has a positive impact on your physical health. When you laugh more oxygen reaches the brain and vital organs, blood pressure lowers and stress on your heart is reduced.
- Coping mechanism – Laugh at the stuff life throws at you. Using laughter to cope with difficult circumstances is not uncommon. However, too often we get caught up in the heat of the moment and don’t take advantage of our built in coping mechanisms. After a good laugh your heart rate and blood pressure drop below normal, sending your body into a relaxed state and subconsciously your mind starts to think that circumstances are more manageable.
Celebrate with us and on April 14th and take a moment to laugh. Or, if you are feeling ambitious, make it a part of your daily routine. You won’t regret it.